Thread: Smart Phone

Smart Phone

In the market for a smart phone. Don't need to have the latest and greatest Iphone5, would most likely be looking for a deal on an older version of a galaxy, Iphone, whatever. Price is an issue.

Any recommendations?

Re: Smart Phone

Samsung S3 16gb is right up your ally. If you are an Apple lover, then the iPhone 5.
    You are the master of your fate and the captain of your soul. - W.E. Henley

Thanks for responding. Have checked out the Iphone but not the Samsung.

What are you looking to do with your phone Lea?

Deathwish Incarnate Knight Guerre's Avatar

I suppose you should also list which carrier you're using.. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. etc.. as some phones aren't usable with certain companies.. or at least that's the way it used to be.
    Sebastiien Shadowfury Paladin / Monk, FFXIV:ARR

Right now, I have a dumb phone (it rings and I answer it, and I dial numbers and it calls, that's about it) and I'm on my brother's Verizon plan for $10/month. I'm actually only buying a smart phone because I'm training with a Search and Rescue team (tracking/trailing/cadaver dogs that law enforcement calls out to find dead/live persons) and I need a smart phone and a hand-held topography GPS, which I also know nothing about other than people have said get a Tom Tom or a Garmin. I will need to be able to do texting and using a gps with the smart phone. What would be nice would be to be able to surf and talk/text at the same time, although the team leaders didn't tell me I had to be able to do that. Most of our training/searches take place in thick wooded areas.

So I will more than likely have to come off my brother's Verizon plan (not sure about this, tho) and get on my own plan.

Does that help?

well, there have been some issues with the new iPhone maps, however I'm hearing that they're either completely fixed or are in the process of fixing them.

I've never had an issue with the Android maps that are native to my phone...but it sounds like you'd be using something more advanced than the stock mapping app. So I'd research both the iTunes Store or the Google Play store to see which GPS app would work best for you.

Google maps is now available on iPhone, so that's a non-issue. There are apps you can buy that have topo maps on the iPhone, but they were never as convenient as having a separate dedicated GPS, like the Oregon I mentioned in my other post.
    GoatRider- lvl 100 Night Elf Rogue Jewelcrafter/Engineer
    Kemps- lvl 100 Tauren Feral Druid Miner/Engineer
    Cattrina- lvl 85 Night Elf Druid (feral bear/cat) miner/alchemist
    LoweRider- lvl 35 Gnome Mage/Tailor/Enchanter/Auctioneer

Quote Originally Posted by Lea
    Right now, I have a dumb phone (it rings and I answer it, and I dial numbers and it calls, that's about it) and I'm on my brother's Verizon plan for $10/month. I'm actually only buying a smart phone because I'm training with a Search and Rescue team (tracking/trailing/cadaver dogs that law enforcement calls out to find dead/live persons) and I need a smart phone and a hand-held topography GPS, which I also know nothing about other than people have said get a Tom Tom or a Garmin. I will need to be able to do texting and using a gps with the smart phone. What would be nice would be to be able to surf and talk/text at the same time, although the team leaders didn't tell me I had to be able to do that. Most of our training/searches take place in thick wooded areas.

So I will more than likely have to come off my brother's Verizon plan (not sure about this, tho) and get on my own plan.

Does that help?
    Here's an idea, if you want a new phone because you think you'll need to use it for your S&R work,
    Then you should probably ask your S&R team what phones they use (or recommend) and why....

It is entirely possible that the GPS within the smartphones will not be adequate for your Search & Rescue needs and you'll haev to carry around a separate topology GPS like a Garmin or Tomtom.

Its also possible that the team will say something like "oooo, well, you absolutely should get a (android / iphone) because of XYZ app that we use..." -- which would be good to know before you get the wrong phone

Also, verizon has both, so you could stay with Verizon and use either an android or iphone.
    If you want to be able to talk on the phone at the same time as surf on the web, well, that means going to AT&T and suffering from their coverage issues that have made them the butt of jokes everywhere including Letterman/Fallon/Leno.
    I'd stick with Verizon. I dislike changing carriers and having to get used to new coverage patterns and dead zones

Friend

Whatever you decide to go with, you can find a great price (like free) on most smartphones (with most carriers) using Amazon Wireless: www.amazonwireless.com

As for any specific phone recommendation, I personally use the iPhone 5, but if you don't want an iPhone then I would go with either a Motorola or Samsung phone that runs Android (preferably the latest and greatest, Jelly Bean).

Good luck!
    WoW Toons:
    Zayin - Human Paladin
    Etao - Pandaren Monk

I got the Iphone 5, even though I have Verizon. I despise the service I had with AT&T. Dropped calls, extremely delayed voice mails, reception, etc. Been very very pleased with Verizon, even out in the middle of nowhere in the wilderness when I'm doing Search and Rescue.