Thread: Computer OS Upgrade

Computer OS Upgrade

Soo it seams like the move for a lot of new games is to require a min of Windows 7 as an operating system. I'm still using WinXP. I'm looking to do a hardware upgrade but not sure if I should change to Windows 7 or go to Windows 8. I hear a lot of unfavorable things about Windows 8 but I'm not really sure. Thoughts?

P
    Pixa CuteShot, Rangerette
    Axiponic, Night Elf Hunter
    Cute Epical Rangerette of Death(tm)
    Founder of Pixology(tm)
    "One Pix to rule them all!"

Here a little background info on upgrading from Windows XP, including support timelines for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (from April 8, 2014)

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-...ews-18038.html

Personally, I never understood all the hate for Windows 8. The only difference is the initial screen after you log in...otherwise it's exactly the same once you get to the desktop. After using it for a while, i prefer using the tiles on the start screen for easily opening programs. All the hate is reminiscent of the whole Windows Vista vs Windows 7 thing, which I never understood either...they were actually the same operating system (They run the exact same kernel!), Windows 7 has a bit more polish and turned off some annoying options, but otherwise they are the same.

Just go with 8.1, it's got a longer lifespan and will do exactly the same thing for you.

The biggest complaints I've heard was that Windows 8 shifted a lot of initial functionality towards touch screen, tablets and smart phones which made it difficult for people that were use to working in a desktop environment (mouse/keyboard). I have heard that you can turn most of that off if you want to.

I do not have it myself, but I do have a bit of initial experience stemming from trying to help my sister with some technical issues on her laptop. Going in blind and trying to find some really basic functions was a PITA. I do fully believe it was me just not knowing a lot about the operating system changes though. Just be prepared for a bit of a learning curve.

As for functionality, I have nothing as I haven't used it myself.

I just picked up windows 8.1 a few months ago since XP no longer has patches and it has a longer life. It has a learning curve figuring out where to find things. They should have included a tutorial. After getting more used to it, the tiles are nicer for running programs. It took me a while to find a good way to turn off power and to get to the control panel.

I don't know if it's worth picking up pro unless you're an enthusiast that likes the gadgets (i.e., encrypted drive) or really want the german media center microsoft has partnered with.

I don't need no stinkin' gadgets!
    Pixa CuteShot, Rangerette
    Axiponic, Night Elf Hunter
    Cute Epical Rangerette of Death(tm)
    Founder of Pixology(tm)
    "One Pix to rule them all!"