Thread: Computer upgrade time!

Computer upgrade time!

So, I'm outgrowing my computer with my growing need to run 3D CADD programs at more than a snail's pace and to render 3D models with programs like Autodesk's Revit and want to play the newer games. I have about a $1500-$2000 budget to upgrade components. Doing some research I came up with the following list.

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMD16GX3M2A1866C9
    Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
    EVGA 03G-P4-2881-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Please comment.

P
    Pixa CuteShot, Rangerette
    Axiponic, Night Elf Hunter
    Cute Epical Rangerette of Death(tm)
    Founder of Pixology(tm)
    "One Pix to rule them all!"

Since you are also rendering you might even think about getting a Intel 6 core CPU. Doesn't help much with games, but for rendering it makes a difference.
    - Intel Core i7 3930K C2 BOX, 6C/12T or Intel Core i7 4930K. They are about 499.- and 579.- SFr here.

16 GB RAM is ok, good for rendering too.

Don't know if you already have an SSD, but I would get one if not, at least for the C drive, hosting your OS and the most used programs. For data you then can get 2 - 3 TB HD's.

Can't comment about the graphic card, I use only AMD's for years now.
    Mihoshi Kuramitsu

Quote Originally Posted by Mihoshi View Post
    Since you are also rendering you might even think about getting a Intel 6 core CPU. Doesn't help much with games, but for rendering it makes a difference.
    - Intel Core i7 3930K C2 BOX, 6C/12T or Intel Core i7 4930K. They are about 499.- and 579.- SFr here.

Don't know if you already have an SSD, but I would get one if not, at least for the C drive, hosting your OS and the most used programs. For data you then can get 2 - 3 TB HD's..
    Thanks for the tip on the processor. I'll look into that. I don't have an SSD yet but have been considering. I'll look into those as well. Thanks!
    Pixa CuteShot, Rangerette
    Axiponic, Night Elf Hunter
    Cute Epical Rangerette of Death(tm)
    Founder of Pixology(tm)
    "One Pix to rule them all!"

the 780ti is a good card. I've got the 770, which was cheaper and works just as well, but if you're doing rendering and stuff, I can see you would want top of the line. I've had Nvidia cards now for, jeez, the last 5 years and they've always treated me well.
    "Digressions, objections, delight in mockery, carefree mistrust are signs of health; everything unconditional belongs in pathology." -- Friedrich Nietzsche