Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Season, A New Doctor!

A New Season, A New Doctor!

LONDON, July 13 (UPI) --Doctor Who fans got a little better of a look at Peter Capaldi -- the newest Doctor -- in the latest trailer for the eighth season of the series.

The BBC unveiled the new trailer Sunday, revealing a bit more dialogue and personality of the 12th Doctor.

"I'm the Doctor," Capaldi can be heard saying over images of a burning Tardis and clips of his enemies. "I've lived for 2,000 years. I've made many mistakes and it's about time I did something about that."

Later his companion, Clara, played by Jenna Coleman, can be heard asking the Doctor, "where are we going?"

"Into darkness," he replies.

Previous trailers for the upcoming season of Doctor Who haven't featured much dialogue from Capaldi, leaving some fans to wonder what sort of personality the new lead will have.

Capaldi recently informed a young fan that he'll take good care of the beloved character, but he'll be "different" from previous incarnations.

The eighth season of Doctor Who debuts Aug. 23.

http://upi.com/3042765 <= Trailer LInk

The Doctor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Capaldi

The Companion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenna_Coleman
    The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other'slife.
    Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
    ~Richard Bach

It took a few episodes, but I grew quite fond of Matt Smith. He was a young, spritely doctor. I'm not sure how I'll feel about this contrast.
    I like a little civility mixed with my psychosis.

I keep thinking of Peter Capaldi as John Frobisher (from season 3 Torchwood)...will be interesting to see his Doctor.

I hate Matt Smith, and it doesn't help that Moffatt has written most those seasons (way more sexist and less nuanced than Davies imo). I have tried to watch Smith's run, but between him and the annoying companions, I gave up on the show pretty much after season 4.

I want them to continue Torchwood! It was more adult

Wow ! I guess there is a first for everything.
    I had never heard of anyone who disliked Matt Smith as Dr Who.
    I mean, the guy was brilliant, perfect for the role, and, until now, I assumed universally loved.

It's a bit like chocolate, you just assume everyone loves it.
    ( I guess the Chinese might not, but I'm not counting them!)
    Jagdar L60 NE Warrior (WOW)
    Jagdah L60 NE Hunter (WOW)
    Jagdar Singh L51 Celt Champion (retired)
    Jagdar Singh L54 Dark Elf Shadowknight(retired)
    "Why Zig and Zag, when you can Jag!"(tm)

I must open that box. Leader Bajah's Avatar
    I didn't like Smith at first either, but once he settled into the role I liked him just fine. Sounds like Blode didn't get that far, or she just genuinely doesn't like him. haha Though honestly I think i'm like 2 seasons behind, myself.

I actually liked Matt Smith at first as well as Amy, but grew to dislike them both as time went on. Doesn't help that I felt the Smith episodes got worse as well in general, so many duds and that last season was really weaksauce.

I'm really looking forward to Capaldi as the Doctor.
    LordFluffyBottom - (Wildstar)

Personally I think Moffit may have been more of my problem that anything else. Seems he was actually trying to make the Doc less a cult classic and bring it into the 21st century. You know all the old farts like me hate change! The Doctor fit right up there with the Flash Gordon serials or Red Dwarf late night on Saturday night. Before the TV signed off for the night. Doh!

I am really looking forward to the new Doctor and hope we get to see maybe a new old English Brigadier.

I didn't see the last series, they were no longer like Night Gallery or Twilight Zone. Where humor suspense could be done without a blockbuster budget.

I really hope this will be more the old style low budget show with some good story twists to keep me involved.

PS:: Everyone loved Amy, that was her and Matt Smiths downfall, she was just too hot. Didn't matter what she did it just came out sexy. I wonder how many posters adorned little boys rooms with her in that English Meter Maids outfit! LOL. She had the longest legs!
    Last edited by Foamheart; July 16th, 2014 at 01:35 AM.
    The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other'slife.
    ~Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
    PS:: Everyone loved Amy, that was her and Matt Smiths downfall, she was just too hot. Didn't matter what she did it just came out sexy. I wonder how many posters adorned little boys rooms with her in that English Meter Maids outfit! LOL. She had the longest legs!
    I believe that was a police woman's outfit. Not that I have the slightest idea what you are talking about!
    Jagdar L60 NE Warrior (WOW)
    Jagdah L60 NE Hunter (WOW)
    Jagdar Singh L51 Celt Champion (retired)
    Jagdar Singh L54 Dark Elf Shadowknight(retired)
    "Why Zig and Zag, when you can Jag!"(tm)

Really? I'm not a real Whovian, but I know few (at least up here) who like Smith. I don't like his acting, I think he's extremely unattractive, and I don't like his interpretation of the doctor. I've seen probably 7 or 8 of his episodes in total, with a variety of companions (probably most Clara Oswald or whatever the last one was) and I just did not get into it. In all fairness, I'm not really into the series in general, although I rewatched seasons 1-4 again in the last few weeks and I found them more enjoyable the second time around.

Rose was my fave companion anyway! And I have a soft spot for Harriet Jones, former Prime Minister.

So who missed the Season Premire ?? Come on, raise your hand.

Thoughts; I may like the new Doctor, I was tired of young regenerations. I loved the reference to the scarf. I still like the companion, she's really is a good match.

The subtle change in the theme music........

I kept thinking that for a regeneration it was a bit tame, then the last 10 mins. I realized there had to be a twist still comming.

Looking forward to next Saturday?

How'd you walk away? Will you remember to tune in next week, or forget its comming on? (maybe again)
    Last edited by Foamheart; August 24th, 2014 at 03:32 AM.
    ~Richard Bach

Sadly it seems this is supposed to be Clara's last season as companion. A real shame since she's been my favorite so far. I am liking the new incarnation of the Doctor, at least after he got over his Alzheimer's phase.
    In loving memory
    Bonnie Caldwell
    1926-2008

New Doctor is fine, and yea it's sad to see Clara go, as she was one of the better recent companions.

The new ep was kinda meh though, the whole thing just felt like it was made on purpose to appease the internet fangirl meltdown of them casting an older Doctor, with all the dialogue and such focused on his looks and convincing Clara (and the viewers) that it's still the same Doctor.
    LordFluffyBottom - (Wildstar)

Coral Rose Knight
    I enjoyed the episode and look forward to Clara and the Doctor moving forward as a team. I could see in the episode that she still cared for the Doctor, but seemed to be struggling with the Doctor's change in physical appearance. This is something I always seemed to struggle with (every single change) as I grow attached to the actor portraying the character. In the past, if the companion stayed on it was just a meh, you changed and I didn't notice kind of feel, but this time I think it really portrayed what the Doctor goes through when he gets a new face and what I personally think the companion should be going through when there's such a radical change.

I AM looking forward to this season to see where they go to after the Day of The Doctor special as I think it will be really interesting to see how Clara and he move forward and what struggles may still remain, despite her acceptance of the new face at the end of the episode.

I enjoyed the episode - and find Peter Capaldi's portrayal of the Doctor fairly interesting. He is mixing in some of Hartnells and Pertwee's style and comes across as much less social. I am not terribly surprised to see Clara exiting after this season. She is a strong character and many of the lines she delivers would have been delivered by the Doctor instead of the companion in earlier incarnations of the Doctor. I anticipate they will bring on another companion that does not have as strong a personality and meshes better with Peter Capaldi's Doctor.

Since the reboot more and more of the "hero" role has been filled by the companion rather than the Doctor. Ie - Rose, Amy, Martha, and Clara. Previously the companion served more of a foil for the Doctor, with only occasional successful heroic activity. I think with Capaldi as the Doctor the writers may transition the primary hero role back to the Doctor.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... n/advanced
    69th Season Hunter of Tunare - EQ - Retired

Sterling Order of Knights
    "Truth and Honor above all"

- With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.... - Anon