Thread: Ultra High Density TV Question

Ultra High Density TV Question

So to achieve the "perfect" picture, using an ultra HD TV, do you also now need an ultra HD signal? A special converter?
    I just can't imagine that a bowed moniter can be the only part required, it could never be that simple.
    The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other'slife.
    Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
    ~Richard Bach

Are you talking about say the 4k TVs? Or just the current HD TVs that are out there? I know that depending on your cable provider the way that the HD signal is sent to your house may be different. Some people will only go with a certain company because of the way the stream is coming in and the quality that is being watched. Some channels and even some commercials are not that great in the HD grade. For the 4k TVs, there is not (not to my knowledge) any content being brought in at 4k by the cable companies and if you want that 4k picture, you need a player and media that can do that format.

I must open that box. Leader Bajah's Avatar
    Most companies (AT&T Uverse, Comcast XFinity, etc) have an "HD Service" where they give you HD versions of a lot of your channels. But it's generally based on how the channel is being broadcast. A low-res station on an HD TV, even connected via HDMI, is still going to be low-res. But you'll see like channel 2 is NBC, but channel 302 is NBC HD. I switched to DirecTV about 8-9 months ago and every channel I watch is pre-set to HD, which is a lot nicer for me.

Thank you guys, Appreciate the help so basically the 4K is currently by disc only like specialized movies and shows. There is no current available 4K cable or satilite 4K ( I hate the loss of spell check!).

So basically unless you want to camp out the store for new 4K releases, currently its best to wait and see if it becomes a viable part of your normal viewing like HD.

Thanks heaps.

Bajah, my problem with Direct, I also get my internet from my cable provider, WiFi? Why? Direct came thru here a few years back low balling prices and had attractive sign up packages. Now Direct is in the process of dropping the last local TV station from their line up. No local news, sports, current affairs unless a national affiliate picks it up.

I am sure they don't have the same problems in Houston, I know how many fiber optic loops were laid in major Texas cities, so Direct TV has to be good to get market share. Rephrasing that, you live where their is competition.

Thanks Guys, I apprceiate the schooling.
    Last edited by Foamheart; September 9th, 2014 at 05:56 PM.
    The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other'slife.
    Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
    ~Richard Bach

I would think a 4K TV would be an awesome computer monitor.
    GoatRider- lvl 100 Night Elf Rogue Jewelcrafter/Engineer
    Kemps- lvl 100 Tauren Feral Druid Miner/Engineer
    Cattrina- lvl 85 Night Elf Druid (feral bear/cat) miner/alchemist
    LoweRider- lvl 35 Gnome Mage/Tailor/Enchanter/Auctioneer

Netflix and maybe youtube have some 4k/UltraHD content streaming if you have the bandwidth and plans for it I believe.
    In loving memory
    Bonnie Caldwell
    1926-2008

Yea I believe so, but your device has to support 4K as well, like some blu ray players and such don't, but like the PS3 and such from what I understand can support it.
    LordFluffyBottom - (Wildstar)

Or you can just go with this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9.../dp/B00CMEN95U

Quote Originally Posted by Holywind View Post
    Or you can just go with this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9.../dp/B00CMEN95U
    I would think most 4K TV's are going to have streaming capability. But not having looked into it I don't know.
    GoatRider- lvl 100 Night Elf Rogue Jewelcrafter/Engineer
    Kemps- lvl 100 Tauren Feral Druid Miner/Engineer
    Cattrina- lvl 85 Night Elf Druid (feral bear/cat) miner/alchemist
    LoweRider- lvl 35 Gnome Mage/Tailor/Enchanter/Auctioneer

Hehe ya, I'm sure. Wouldn't seriously recommend this TV though as it actually costs more than my car. If I won the lottery maybe

there was just an article i was reading in the sept consumer reports....currently neflix has house of cards in uhd, with amazon to stream later this year...DirecTv plans to have UHD channels within a year and Comcast to only have UHD via on demand. it appears sony and samsung have UHD players, but from what i understand they only work within their brands.