Thread: Crooked Little Vein

Crooked Little Vein

by Warren Ellis

You might recognize the author from his comic books (Desolate Jones, Freak Angels, Planetary, Tranmetropolitian) or you might recognize him as the chief writer for several animations (G.I. Joe: Resolution, Marvel Anime:Iron man, Marvel Anime: Wolverine), but this is his first foray into actual novel writing.

It's probably been a few years since I read the book, but it's so so much fun. If you're a fan of British wit, and bizarre bordering on the inane, then you should enjoy this thoroughly. The literary style is written in modern Noir (hard boiled detective minus the 1920's - 40's era), and it takes place in America, though it's a bit unclear if it's present era, or just the near present with just enough futurism to project current trends into the not too distant future. Given that the author is British, and that this was written during the Bush administration; it's not exactly a kindly painted portrait of america, but rather a satirically and exaggerated opinion piece on the idiosyncrasies and stereotypes of this nation's population as viewed by a non-resident.

That said, obviously there's a story that drags you through the novel. It's funny and bizarre and grabs you mercilessly by the pubes, racing you through the prose until before you know it, you've finished the novel and are mourning the lack of other novels by the same author.

Re: Crooked Little Vein

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    It's funny and bizarre and grabs you mercilessly by the pubes, racing you through the prose until before you know it, you've finished the novel and are mourning the lack of other novels by the same author.
    Based on that sentence alone I want to read this book.
    ~Bleen~

Re: Crooked Little Vein

Just a little reminder that this book/author is worth reading for fun alone.

Also Warren Ellis has released only his 2nd novel ever (the rest is all graphic novels and TV).

Gun Machine.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Machine-ebook ... un+machine

I'm sure I'll read it in the coming month and create a seperate post.