Just an up front warning... if you've read Crooked Little Vein, also by Warren Ellis, and are expecting/hoping for something similar, prepare to be disappointed. Crooked Little Vein was larger than life, out of hand, and bordering on drug induced... and it was fantastic for all those reasons. However, with Gun Machine Warren Ellis was trying something much more mainstream.

If I hadn't read his prior book at all, I probably would have liked this better... but it did leave me wanting another dose of his previous style. It was being written well before the most recent flare up in the gun violence debate, so I don't think there are any political or cultural messages being said. The guns play a symbolic role, but it's doesn't strike me specifically as violence laden in their symbolism. Moreso in the way almost anything can become symbolic for something larger than or even unrelated to the object specifically.

It's a crime drama, interesting at times.... I'd struggle to call it modern noir. Not gritty enough to be a proper noir, but pretty good for what it's worth. Wasn't particularly happy with the ending, meh.

Anyway, I'd pass on this book of what you want is more of Crooked Little Vein. I'd go ahead and give it a read if you're a fan of crime/detective novels.