NEW YORK, May 31 (UPI) -- The writer of New York publisher Marvel Comics' latest "X-Men" series said he doesn't want to add male characters to the super hero team's all-female lineup.

Brian Wood, who penned the "X-Men #1" issue that hit the stands Wednesday, and editor Jeanine Schaefer said they were excited to break new ground for the super hero team, which has long been known for the diversity of its characters, by introducing an all-female line-up, CNN reported Friday.

The lineup includes popular characters Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Jubilee and Psylocke.

"This is 100 percent something I've wanted to do in my heart of hearts for years. And when Brian started on X-Men, his team was only women," Schaefer said.

Schaefer and Wood said they understand they are taking a risk as the team's all-female lineup could be blamed if the monthly book isn't a big seller.

"Even now, there's a lot of peanut gallery comments about the fact that it's a female team. It's happened before and been unfairly blamed. I think [that's] what makes this so great. Through Jeanine's hard work at Marvel, this is 'X-Men #1.' If any book is gonna have a shot at it, I truly believe it's gonna stick. We're not gonna bring in dudes to bring up sales. It's gonna be a powerhouse seller," Wood said.