Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Eddings

Blog Entries

Re: David Eddings

Quote Originally Posted by Bleen
    My introduction to fantasy was Anne McCaffrey and her Pern novels, which I fell in love with - probably in my late teens? Her books are still some of my very favorites.

This thread is making me think that I want to carve out more reading time for myself... revisit some favorites, read some new ones. Lazy summer of reading, sounds like a plan!

My intro was Dragonsinger which I've read it probably over a dozen times and The Elfstones of Shannara (I remember it just sitting on my dad's shelf and thought 'ooh shiny! what's that, must read!'). From there I gradually read all of them in the series, which reminds me I need to see what's new out there for those and catch up! =P

Edit: Oh another fun one is Orcs by Stan Nicholls! My kinda orcs!
    Zeshae Spiritwinds / Klymestar Del'Mithros
    WildStar: Zeshae
    GW2: Iphezri Zyr
    SWTOR: Iphez'ri, Zeshae, Ze'shae, Skirr, Zyr
    Steam: Zesh

Well I read the Hobbit when I was 11 after I saw it on a bookshelf in the back of the classroom; that was my first fantasy. I loved it. Then I read the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion and all the associated works. Since then.. my favorite overall fantasy is A Song of Ice and Fire by a good margin, with Kingkiller Chronicle as a second. I think I sort of hold HP Lovecraft and Fritz Leiber as my standard line of beloved fantasy, and look at other works based on some of the things I appreciate from those. I know that most wouldn't consider Lovecraft "fantasy" but it works for me and how I look at it. My books and general thoughts on them are at my goodreads account. I encourage everyone to get one and use it regularly, it's a great idea. If you have one, add me as your friend.

http://www.goodreads.com/candlepaladin

Basically most of my fantasy moods have me reviewing new fantasy with the following major desires: I want a well-paced plot (right away disqualifies a lot), an original magic system that generally follows Sanderson's rules or something like them, an avoidance or reversal of the few most significant fantasy tropes (NO Dark God-Lord, macguffin, wise old wizard/guide, or elves/dwarves), multi-faceted characters, and a somewhat original-feeling setting, one that the author really makes you feel immersed into the atmosphere. I love fantasy.

Let me throw another idea out, besides looking for new titles you might explore new old stories. Years ago I started doing this out of boredom while awaiting a couple of next of series releases. A friend suggested it after a long discussion. Let me explain.

I have always loved Cooper, I fell in love with The Last of the Mohicans (not the movie either), but who knew that it was part of a trilogy? That’s how I found The Deerslayer as well as other of his writings. Then I was hooked on doing this. There are some pretty awesome writings buried in the dark dusty tomes of the library. When’s the last time you left the mall bookstore and went to the library? Do you even have a library card anymore? Heck I bet you couldn’t tell someone where to park for it.

Authors like Scott and Sabatini can easily fill the rest of this year with new adventures. If of course you like stories like; Lady of the Lake, Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, The Sea Hawk, Scarmouche, Captain Blood but have you read any of their other books? But these are mine, what do you like? When you search an author vice a story the old long dead writers come back to life. You’ll be amazed at the entertainment we missed by just reading the recommended or required reading list. I even found some poetry I enjoyed, but I never let that go public….LOL

There are other accomplished authors besides those at Daltons or Walden’s book stores. The library actually will let you borrow ‘em if you’ll just bring ‘em back. What a novel concept, free books, (see what I did there? Novel/novel)! Of course Barnes and Noble will order ‘em and sell them to you to look impressive and gather dust, if you have an empty hole on your book shelf or you are building an heritance library, (there is that word again). I only say this because I was a book horder once, I gave away nearly 700 fantasy books when I moved from Texas the first time.
    The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other'slife.
    Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
    ~Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Pharxide
    I was swatting and screaming in an uncomplicated way.

My first reads that hooked me on all things fantasy were when I was very young, probably around age 5, and my Mama gave me two books: Grimm's Fairy Tales and Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Anderson. I think they were the first books I ever read "solo", i.e., that Mama didn't read to me. She then gave me a book about Camelot/King Arthur/Merlin/Morgana etc., and another book the Arabian Knights. Those books, from the time I was 5 years old, hooked me on fantasy reads and movies. I don't think I ever missed a Sinbad movie when I was young or any of the various books and movies about Camelot and King Arthur. In fact, I was soooo disappointed when they cancelled Merlin. I never missed a single episode and thought it was a great series. So my love of all things fantasy naturally led me to MMOs and console fantasy games, i.e., Legend of Mana, Final Fantasy, Chronotrigger, etc.

My family & non-gaming friends have never understood my "obsession" with fantasy literature, movies, and online games. But fortunately they love me anyway!!

EDIT: BTW, I still have those two books Mama gave me, Grimm's Fairy Tales and Hans Christian Anderson. They were a 2-book set, one red and one green, and I proudly have them displayed on one of my bookcases. I must've read they 500 times when I was young!

Finished The Belgariad and Malloreans, and started reading the next of his 6-book series The Elenium (almost finished with the third book) which I will follow with the last three, The Tamuli. I actually think I like this series better, but that's probably because I am totally in love with Sparhawk! If only I could find a RL Sparhawk....