Thread: World Fantasy Awards for collections.

World Fantasy Awards for collections.

You know, I hate to say this but for quite a few years I thought I was pretty well read on Fantasy books. We are talking 2 or three books a week, I had the book stores calling to let me know when they had received a new shipment. I went thru books and books and books........ Its been awhile since then and I came around this on the List of winners in the Fantasy World Award for best collections. Thinking I'd look and see what I might have missed in years past I embarrassed myself. I actually would buy the 1 & 2 book of a set and set it aside waiting for the third before I started sometimes. When the 6th book of Stephen Donaldson's set came out, I bought a large leather bound edition so I got to read it before the paperback or a regular edition came out. One silly week. I don't remember the cost but I know I didn't have a drink for nearly a month...LOL I actually thought maybe this would give me some insight into new reading. I found out the other day its been too long since I had picked up a good book.

Anyway as I ramble, go look at this site and tell me if you agree that they are not even in a close agreement with you to when you were heavily into the fantasy books.

With very very few exceptions I really don't agree with most of them (during that frame of my life). When they do get an author right, its for the wrong series..... Pffft............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...est_Collection

What do you think.
    The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other'slife.
    Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
    ~Richard Bach

I believe this kind of 'collection' means generally a book of previously published short stories. Maybe you wanted something more like the Hugo or Nebula for best novel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula...for_Best_Novel

Well then wouldn't all the dragonlance and forgottenrealms, ALL fit under that umbrella, wait previously, well some would have been. Salvatore got his start there if I am not mistaken. Where he gained his acceptance anyway.

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other'slife.
    Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
    ~Richard Bach

No I think that kind of collection is collection of books not collection of stories, and I think this award is for collection of stories. They usually focus on giving out awards for individual books, even books in a series.

So you can give an award to book 3 in a series if it's a particularly good book (you'll see George Martin was nominated for a Hugo for book 5 in his series, and Jim Butcher for book 15, Harry Potter, Ender, actually a lot of those Hugo noms are in a series). It's harder to award an entire collection of books, though I know the Hugos have a mechanism for doing so as long as the series is complete and none of the books has won before (in 2014 for Hugos you can see "The Wheel of Time" series).