Thread: Captain Marvel discussion thread, with SPOILERS

Captain Marvel discussion thread, with SPOILERS

As the title says, this thread is to discuss the Captain Marvel film, with SPOILERS, so you are twice-warned now.

Especially if you are Bleen, who has slacked on her MCU progression. (WoW /gu-chat thing )

1. Ben Mendolsohn as Talos ~ I was very entertained how Mendolsohn let out his native Australian accent for playing Talos in 'natural' Skrull-form, it really added to the character and the humour bits.

2. Mohawks In Space ~ This I just did not understand about Veers' (Danvers') Kree uniform. I understand having eye-slits covering her eyes, and energy force-fields over her nose and mouth, in order to environmentally seal her suit against the vacuum of space.

But WHY then, would there be a gaping slot on top of her head for a mohawk? Seeing that every time she "sealed" (note "quotations") her suit made my face scrunch-up in bewilderment.

3. OverPowered? ~ Having seen the film now, I can see the faux-controversy and why Carol Danvers' character can be a bit off-putting. Until now, the MCU female heroes have been strong, but in subtler methods...
    - a. Gamora, Nebula, Okoye, Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow) ~ Their badassery primarily stems from their formidable combat skills.

- b. Mantis, Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch) ~ Their powers are focused more upon control &/or manipulation, rather than outright force.

- c. Hope van Dyne (Wasp II), Shuri ~ While competent in combat skills, their central "power" is their high intellect.

So with Captain Marvel, we have a openly and overtly powerful MCU super-female, and that can throw expectations off.

As an minor parallel point: I also think that if not for Wonder Woman's movie-success, Captain Marvel would struggle far more for its own success, so Marvel Studios planned and produced well.

4. Thwarting Thanos ~ My theory on how Danvers will be key to defeating the Infinity-powered Thanos stems from the source of Danvers' empowerment: Wendy Lawson's (Mar-Vell) FTL (Faster Than Light) engine.

Lawson's FTL engine was powered by The Tesseract, aka the Space Stone; the engine's energies siphoned from The Tesseract in the same method that nazi-HYDRA did for their energy weapons in Captain America (#1):TFAvenger, just on a larger scale (fighter-jet engine instead of energy rifle).

So my theory is that Danvers is immune (or at least resistant) to the power/effects of the Infinity Stones, or at least the Space Stone. Regardless of specifics, it would provide a crack in Thanos' Infinity 'armour' for the Good Guys to exploit.

5. Future Planning? ~ The comic-readers in my movie-group told us how Maria Rambeau's daughter, Monica Rambeau, was actually Captain Marvel BEFORE Carol Danvers; in Marvel Comics' timeline of:
    - a. Captain Marvel I (the Kree male Mar-Vell)

- b. Captain Marvel II (Monica Rambeau)

- c. Captain Marvel III (Carol Danvers)

Given how television & movies have a tendency to flip things from their original source(s), could this be a down-the-road set-up for when MCU needs a new generation of supers to replace the "old guard"?

As a side-note, we were also told that there were other Marvel Comics characters who held the Captain Marvel title between Monica Rambeau (II) and Carol Danvers (III), but not for any noteworthy length of time compared to Rambeau and Danvers.

6. Mid-credits ~ I actually was a bit disappointed by the way Danvers simply was standing there when the Avengers turned around. Throughout the film, Danvers was anything BUT sneaky &/or subtle. I think it would have been far more appropriate if Danvers had either:

- a. Crashed through the ceiling (on purpose, not a crash-landing like with Blockbuster Video), then rising to her feet and demanding, "Where's Fury?"

- b. Hovering just outside one of the panoramic-view windows of Avengers HQ, in overt glowing fashion, to the awed &/or stunned looks of the Avengers.
    Last edited by Ellewyn; March 15th, 2019 at 11:44 AM.

With regards to the 4th point I saw something that reminded me that, in the MCU anyway, Scarlett Witch is powered by the Mind Stone and not a mutant ability like the comics. She's dust in the wind so either the different power stones don't give the same immunity or this theory is incorrect.
    In loving memory
    Bonnie Caldwell
    1926-2008