Thread: Infinity Wars discussion thread SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Infinity Wars discussion thread SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

DO NOT EVEN GLANCE AT THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Okay..so. DUDE. I need to talk this out.

I loved every minute that film except the last 2 minutes. I'm confused. I knew there was going to be a body count...I am fine with that. But why kill off Tom Holland who brought a wonderfully fresh breath of air to Spiderman, and Black Panther who just made box office history??? I was betting on Tony, Bruce, and Steve to bite it. Tell me that they will be back, that Dr. Strange has a plan since he saw all the possiblities and willingly surrendered the time stone.

I need a hug and maybe some pie right now LOL.

P.S. I whooped out loud when I saw who was guarding the soul stone.
    Last edited by Blodie; April 26th, 2018 at 10:27 PM.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE

You have been warned....

So - I liked the movie - a lot - even the last few minutes where half of everyone turned to dust. It sets the stage for the next marvel movies - one about Captain Marvel - and the other about Ant Man.

In the movie Dr. Strange looked at millions of possible outcomes - and only saw one that worked - - - and even as he turned to dust - he indicated all was on track. How can that be? Cue Captain Marvel - whose logo appears on Nick Fury's pager just before he dusts. Captain Marvel has faced Thanos before and defeated him. Likely we will get back story on Captain Marvel next year - just before the next episode of the Avengers comes out. I anticipate that Captain Marvel will muck with time and steal the space stone (the Tesseract) or the time stone - and take us back to a time before all the heroes died. However time being limited - only heroes that DIDN'T engage Thanos will be able to change the outcome of the event - cue the shy Hulk who didn't want to come out and play in this movie - and the missing Ant Man (who has a movie coming out in the near future - maybe to give us hope that the Avengers aren't doomed?) and Hawk Eye.

They have to do something to bring back the Avengers - or they are killing off a cash cow - with Spiderman, most of Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Nick Fury, all turning to dust - they can't make movies about them until they bring them back. I expect the Ant Man movie will tease the possibility of things turning around - quantum mechanic zone without time or something. Will just have to patiently wait. Expect the fan theories to flow like water. But if everyone gets saved.....do they get to keep their upgrades? - Thor's eye and shiny axe? Spiderman's new suit? And what about Loki - is he really dead this time....or did he have another escape plan that even Thor didn't know about? He really seemed too smart to try to nail Thanos with a tiny dagger.

Speaking of bits - I can't help but wonder the significance of Iron Man shedding Thanos's blood? Somehow that has to tie into the next Avengers Movie.

Definitely will watch this one a second or third time - just to see what I missed.

Key things I loved - Stan Lee Cameo - as always......and Peter Dinklage larger than life role!
    Last edited by Talferian; April 27th, 2018 at 01:22 AM.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

You have been warned....
    Yeah I need to watch it again, now that i slept on it. Glad to know Captain Marvel has potential to defeat Thanos. Yeah, like you said, what happens to all the great new fresh movie franchises that now have to be on hold til this is resolved?

A guy behind me was like "ooh Shuri can be the Black Panther now!" but I think she's more powerful (and feminist) in her present role. I love that instead of a white, male, billionaire playboy as world's most tech savvy genius, Tony has been replaced by a teenage black girl. #girlpower

I agree the blood thing seemed significant. I don't know canon well enough to speculate though.

Aside from the trauma of the last 5 min, that movie was frakking hilarious. The Spiderman sass as he was flying through Dr. STrange's portals taking shots at Thanos was killing me. And teenage Groot was exactly what I thought he'd be!

And Rocket and Thor buddy movies??? SIGN ME UP

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

You have been warned....

It's my understanding that the Antman and The Wasp movie takes place after Civil War and before Infinity War so I don't think they will be affected by it but it may explain why neither was seen in Infinity War.
    As for Shuri taking over as Black Panther it IS canon in the comics, at least for a while, and I don't see where that would have to change her being the world's smartest tech genius any more than being Iron Man affected Tony's inventiveness.
    In loving memory
    Bonnie Caldwell
    1926-2008

Ellewyn's Av:IW Spoiler Review...

1. Hard Choices... The central theme of Av:IW is "Making hard choices." Some notable moments include:

- A. Thanos... Plenty of moments to choose from, but the most summarizing one, "The hardest choices, requires the strongest will."

- B. Doctor Strange... "If it comes down to the Time Stone, you (Stark), or the kid (Parker), I will not hesitate to let either of you die in order to protect the stone."

- C. Captain America & Vision... "We don't trade lives."

- D. Vision & Wanda... "We both made promises, but not to each other." and "It shouldn't be you, but it is."

- E. Quill & Gamora... "Swear it. Swear it, on your mother." and "I told you go right..."

2. Strange Choices... As Blodeuwedd and Talferian have already pointed out, the generally accepted theory is that Doctor Strange deliberately gave-up the Time Stone as part of the ONE future (out of the 14,000,605 he pre-viewed) in which Thanos' plan is thwarted in the overall "long game. "

Whether that this plan specifically requires Stark to survive, or simply an excuse to dupe Thanos into accepting the Time Stone as a genuine offer, rather than an obvious deception, is debatable. Either way, Strange's last words of "Tony, I'm sorry, but there was no other way...", is probably meant to later clue-in Stark to this future route, as well as absolve him of any guilt over perceived failure in the present.

3. "We have a Hulk"...or apparently not... Given that we know that Hulk is a separate persona from Bruce Banner, I believe that there is a very simple explanation to why Hulk refuses to come out despite Banner willingly (even actively) "holding the door open" for Hulk to manifest.

Hulk is afraid.

Until Thanos, Hulk has never lost a fight. Yes, this includes the gladiator arena fight versus Thor in Thor(3): Ragnarok. "Technically" Hulk won that gladiator fight, albeit because The Grandmaster cheated Thor out of the victory. Thanos is the first enemy to outright beat Hulk down into the ground in a fight, and this has caused Hulk to know genuine fear, and thus not want to emerge.

4. Thanos' Arch-Foes... From what I have been told by the comic readers in our movie group, and (lazy casual) researched, only two Marvel heroes have ever decisively thwarted Thanos' schemes: Captain Marvel I (Marr-Vell) and Adam Warlock.

Since Captain Marvel I is decades dead in the comics, and current Marvel Comics features Captain Marvel II (Carol Danvers), Marvel Studios has simply interchanged the role-spot.

5. Disintegrations... There is a lot of gripe over how many heroes were disintegrated, but I believe this to simply clearing the field to make way for the next (MCU Phase 4) wave of heroes to emerge. Notable probable-to-possible examples include:

- A. Captain Marvel II (Carol Danvers)... Obviously, Danvers will be a key character in restoring the Marvel Universe from Thanos' mass-culling.

- B. Adam Warlock... Preluded in the post-credits scene of Guardian of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Adam Warlock also was a member (actually team leader) of one of the incarnations of the (comic) Guardians of the Galaxy. I theorize that for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Rocket will wind up having to become the Mentor/Guide Figure for Adam Warlock, much to Rocket's chagrin; just like in Av:IW for a near-broken Thor ([Rocket]: {sighs} "Time to be the Captain...").

- C. Spider-Man II (Miles Morales)... A black Hispanic teenager who has similar, but not exact, spider-powers to Parker Spider-Man. Morales took up the mantle of Spider-Man during a period where Parker was dead at the time (in comics). So now that MCU Parker Spider-Man is "dead" (disintegrated), it opens the door for a MCU Morales Spider-Man.

6. Vision's death(s)... I felt so bad for Vision. The poor guy got killed horribly, twice!

7. A Negative Criticism... One scene that I had serious problems with? Spider-Man's disintegration. While I understand they wanted to have the movie-stereotypical Poignant Death Scene, I felt this noticeably and negatively clashed with all the others. With everyone else's disintegrations, they either had no time to react, or only the brief reaction of "What's happenin-{GONE}"; the point being, that the disintegrations were both quick and (presumably by reactions) painless.

How I might have portrayed the scene instead...?

[Parker]: Mister Stark...?

{Stark turns to look at Peter, both seeing Parker's hands and arms starting to disintegrate.}

[Stark]: (softly) No...

{Stark awkwardly moves forward, hampered by his stab-injury from Thanos.}

[Parker]: {disintegrating fast} Tell Aunt M-

{Stark stumbles forward, trying to grasp Parker with both arms, only to pass right through Parker, scattering the faux-ash of Parker into the air.}

{Stark pitches forward to the ground from his inertia.}

{Close-up of Stark on his knees, opening his hands to reveal nothing, not even the faux-ash.}

{Camera pans outward slowly, showing Stark's anguish.}

8. Overall Judgement... I enjoyed Av:IW a lot. It was so well done that I never felt like the movie dragged at any point with its 2 hours, 40 minutes' length. One major factor to Av:IW's quality is that the movie assumes the audience has followed the previous Marvel movies, and thus does not waste time on having to re-tell anything previous, especially origin stories.

If any reading this have NOT yet seen Av:IW (if so, then boy did you spoil yourself before seeing it!), I highly advise avoiding any condiments (popcorn, soda, etc.); just bring a water bottle to wet your whistle when needed. While I said that the movie does not drag at any point, Av:IW IS still 2 hours, 40 minutes, and you do not want to miss anything from having to go to the bathroom.

9. Funny (movie group) anecdote... One amusing anecdote I want to share: After the movie when our movie group were taking it easy with our post-movie wind-down nightcap discussion, something our comic readers brought up. They talked about how The Black Order (Thanos' lieutenants) was missing one of their members in Av:IW, a female character named Black Swan. When asked who that was, they described her (character & powers) and showed us a picture:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...8073-tumbl.jpg

After I stopped laughing, I told them: "If they had included someone who looked like that among the Bad Guys, the audience would not have been able to take their threat even half as seriously."
    Last edited by Ellewyn; August 28th, 2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellewyn View Post

7. A Negative Criticism... One scene that I had serious problems with? Spider-Man's disintegration. While I understand they wanted to have the movie-stereotypical Poignant Death Scene, I felt this noticeably and negatively clashed with all the others. With everyone else's disintegrations, they either had no time to react, or only the brief reaction of "What's happenin-{GONE}"; the point being, that the disintegrations were both quick and (presumably by reactions) painless.
    I just figured Spider-Man's disintegration was different because of his spider sense... He could actually feel it about to happen, unlike others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    I just figured Spider-Man's disintegration was different because of his spider sense... He could actually feel it about to happen, unlike others.
    That's exactly what I thought and what has been passed around on a couple of fan theory sites as well.
    In loving memory
    Bonnie Caldwell
    1926-2008

I must open that box. Leader Bajah's Avatar
    FYI if you don't put that "spoiler spoiler spoiler" stuff at the beginning, it shows the beginnings of your posts on the default "what's new" page.

Edit: Black Swan was a later addition to the Black Order. The actual missing member (of the original Black Order, and they have 4 of the 5) is Supergiant. They also changed Black Dwarf's name to Obsidian something or other as I recall. I actually thought for a second that they were going to do the comic route with Maw betraying Thanos, but the Aliens nod was well appreciated. haha
    Last edited by Bajah; May 7th, 2018 at 02:55 PM.